Harley Davidson has introduced the latest entry in their “Dark” series, the 2008 FLSTSB Softail Cross Bones. It has a lot of the old school look, right down to the half round foot boards and I think they look right on this bike.
This is an interesting example of the “old look, new tech” some of you referred to in the comments about old versus new bikes. If you like the look of a 50 year old custom but prefer something that comes with a warranty, this could be an option.
From the press release:
With the retro look of a Springer front end and other post-war era bobber styling cues like a sprung solo seat, half-round rider footboards, Gloss Black round air cleaner cover and chopped front fender, the Softail Cross Bones rides with a Black and Polished Twin Cam 96B powertrain, 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission and truly unique Softail suspension.
As the latest of several Harley-Davidson Dark Customs, Cross Bones melds stripped and chopped custom creativity with rough and raw finishes. Soul mates of the Cross Bones include the Nightster, Night Train, Night Rod Special and Street Bob.
As each Harley-Davidson Softail motorcycle declares its styling independence with exclusive components and inspired craftsmanship, the Cross Bones is a bold addition to an already free-spirited family. Many features of the Cross Bones and other Softails are reminiscent of restless riders of the past, whose defiant attitude resonates with those who march to their own beat in any generation.
FLSTSB Cross Bones features:
* Rigid-mount, 1584 cc Twin Cam 96B balanced engine
* 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission
* Black powder-coated engine with polished rocker box covers and pushrods and untreated fins
* Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
* Gloss Black painted Springer front end with chrome springs
* Gloss Black mini ape-hanger handlebar
* Straight shot exhaust with chrome slash-cut mufflers
* Adjustable sprung solo seat with leather lacing
* 26.6-inch seat height
* Chopped front fender with striping
* Bobtail rear fender with striping
* Gloss Black cat-eye tank console with new speedometer face
* Gloss Black round air cleaner cover, oil tank and rear fender supports
* Distinctive five-gallon fuel tank with hand-laced leather tank panel and striping
* 200 mm rear tire
* Laced Steel front and rear wheels with Gloss Black painted rims
* Half-round old-school foot boards
* Horseshoe oil tank with Harley-Davidson patent badge
* Optional Smart Security System
UPDATE: What if you take this look a little further?