The 2009 V-max is finally here. From 1985 until now, the V-max has been almost unchanged and despite the hopes and dreams of so many owners, each year brought a new color and not much else, … until now.
The new 2009 V-max has evolved, the appearance will never be mistaken for any other motorcycle with strong ties to the past but it’s decidedly a break from the old Max, more up to date with contours more muscular and an all new 1679cc engine with fly by wire throttle, functional air scoops and Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I) that shortens the intake tracts at 7000 rpm.
Hydraulic slipper clutch, 5 speed transmission, ABS brakes, chain and gear driven cams opening 4 valves per cylinder. A 200/50 R18 rear tire, 120/70 R18 front and fully adjustable suspension front and rear. A 4 gallon tank is under the seat and filled as before with a filler under the backrest. The 4 into 2 into 4 exhaust has an EXUP valve for tuning power across the rev range. The large analog tach is where it’s supposed to be with a big shift indicator light. Weight is 683 pounds.
MSRP is $17,990 with delivery beginning in November. Dealers will take $1000 deposits to secure the orders which will be filled in the order they are received.
The U.S. website doesn’t have numbers but they do in Europe, 197 horsepower at 9000 rpm, 123 foot pounds at 6500 rpm.
Full specs below:
* A new-generation V4: The thunderous 1679cc, 65-degree, liquid-cooled, fuel-injected four-valves-per-cylinder, DOHC engine pumps out astonishing power to reinvent the VMAX legend.
* The sportbike-proven Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I) switches nearly instantaneously between 150mm and 54mm intake funnels as needed for a broad powerband that delivers optimum performance at any rpm.
* Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T), the fly-by-wire system, delivers flawless response every time the rider twists the throttle.
* Engine combines four-valve technology with a high 11.3:1 compression ratio, forged aluminum pistons and NGK® Iridium spark plugs with R1-type direct ignition coils to extract maximum horsepower from the fuel charge.
* Cams are driven by a combined chain and gear system to precisely control valves while keeping cylinder heads remarkably compact for such a large displacement engine.
* Hydraulically activated clutch includes racetrack-proven ramp-type slipper clutch system that makes braking from speed while downshifting smoother.
* Five-speed transmission has superbly spaced gear ratios to take full advantage of the engine’s awesome power in straight-line acceleration or through the canyons.
* Delivering this power cruiser’s muscle to the street means a beefy shaft drive just like its predecessor. Special shaft design includes two cross joints to accommodate the fat 200/50 R18 rear tire.
* The high-performance engine is cooled by two radiators for efficiency and clean looks. Lubrication is via a simple, reliable wet sump system.
* Four-into-one-into-two-into-four exhaust system with EXUP (Exhaust Ultimate Power valve) delivers a broad, seamless powerband with the right VMAX look.
* The iconic VMAX aluminum intake covers are hand buffed by craftsmen for superb quality and individuality.
* The newly designed chassis is light and compact, with a cast aluminum main frame, CF die-cast and extruded aluminum rear frame and cast aluminum swingarm. The result is superb rigidity balance for both hard acceleration off the line and corner carving.
* Cartridge-damper-type front forks have substantial 52mm inner tubes with oxidized titanium coating. Forks have both compression and rebound damping adjustability plus spring preload.
* Link-type Monocross® rear suspension has a piggyback reservoir and features compression and rebound clickers, plus remote preload adjustment.
* VMAX uses Brembo®-designed master cylinders, the front with radial pump and reserve tank. Large 320mm wave-style dual front discs are matched to radial-mounted mono block 6-piston calipers. On the rear wheel, there’s a 298mm disc, also wave design, and single-piston caliper. These high-tech brakes also incorporate three-position ABS.
* Tapered handlebar provides a muscular 1-1/8” diameter look at the triple clamp while using conventionally sized controls.
* Newly designed 18-inch radial tires, 120/70 R18 front and 200/50 R18 rear, are mounted on cast aluminum five-spoke wheels.
* For mass centralization that contributes to the bike’s lean looks, the 4 gallon (15-liter) fuel tank is mounted under the seat, with the filler under the rider’s backrest. Tank is constructed of fluorinated polyethylene with superb permeability resistance.
* The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) uses three microprocessors to control fuel injection, ignition, YCC-T, YCC-I, meters and other electrical components.
* The instrument panel includes an analog, step-motor driven tachometer and digital speedometer with LED indicator lights. Prominent LED shift timing indicator adds to the performance character of the new VMAX.
* Organic electro luminescence multi-function display provides a more precise display vs. LCD and includes clock, fuel meter, trip meter with fuel reserve trip meter, transmission gear position, coolant temperature, stopwatch and more.
* Distinctive key design reinforces the unique character of this new VMAX.
* H4 60/55W headlight provides excellent visibility and distinctive style, while the trick-looking LED taillight is light, bright and highly efficient.
* Rare earth magnet AC magneto puts out a robust 420W at 5000 rpm.
MSRP* $17,990 (Intense Black) Available from November 2008
Type 1679cc liquid-cooled 65° V-4, DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder
Bore x Stroke 90.0mm x 66.0mm
Compression Ratio 11.3:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
Transmission 5-speed, multiplate slipper clutch
Final Drive Shaft
Suspension/Front 52mm telescopic cartridge fork w/oxidized titanium coating. Fully adjustable preload, compression and rebound; 4.7 in travel
Suspension/Rear Single shock w/remote reservoir and remote adjustable for preload, compression and rebound
Brakes/Front Dual 320mm wave-type discs; radial mount 6-piston calipers, Brembo® radial pump master cylinder
Brakes/Rear 298mm wave-type disc, single-piston caliper and Brembo® master cylinder
Tires/Front Bridgestone® Radial 120/70-R18 59V
Tires/Rear Bridgestone® Radial 200/50-R18 76V
Length 94.3 in
Width 32.3 in
Height 46.8 in
Seat Height 30.5 in
Wheelbase 66.9 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 31.0 in
Fuel Capacity 4.0 gal
Wet Weight 683 lb / 685 lb (CA model)
Warranty 2 Year (Limited Factory Warranty) with Priority Delivery Program
Link: Star Website