Is this the future? If what the makers of the ENV say is true, it's coming soon. The ENV hydrogen fuel cell motorcycle by Intelligent Energy is now on display at the Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Expo in Tokyo. Gaijin Biker was on hand to take these photos and talk to the company rep. We've had several previous posts on the ENV however, it looks like this is very close to market at an affordable price. If they meet their projected timeframe, this motorcycle could be the first affordable hydrogen vehicle of any kind.
According to IE, the ENV will be on sale to consumers in about 18 months at a price below $10,000. Initial distribution will be in selected urban areas in California and in Tokyo. IE is developing mini fuel reformers to supply hydrogen for the fuel cell. You can even sign up to be an ENV tester!
The CORE fuel cell used in the ENV can be removed and used to supply electrical power in your house.
Here are highlights from their literature:
- Feels like skiing, sailing, or windsurfing, more than like riding a conventional motorcycle
- They are NOT going to add fake engine noise to it. They like it quiet.
- Fewer moving parts means maintenance should be cheaper
- Industrial design done by Seymourpowell
- Motor: 6kW 48 VDC Brushed motor model LEM-170, supplied by LMC ltd.
- Motor Controller: Brusa direct current (model MD 206)
- Fuel Cell: 1kW Intelligent Energy air-cooled (2 x AC32-48)
- Hydrogen storage: High pressure composite cylinder (Luxfer L65)
- Hydrogen energy: 2.4kWeh
- Storage battery 4x12V Lead Acid (15 Ahr) connected in series
- Acceleration: 0-20 mph in 4.3s
0-30 mph in 7.3s
0-50 mph in 12.1s
- Top Speed: 50mph
- Range: at least 100 miles
- Bike mass: 80kg total mass including Core
- Hydrogen: 99.9% purity
- Oxygen: taken from air
- Hydrogen refuel time: Less than 5 minutes
- Electrical connection: Multi-core (Intelligent Energy specific)